Self-confidence and sexual wellness go hand in hand. Unfortunately, when childbirth, aging, and other factors diminish the appearance of the labia, many women struggle to feel confident and empowered in intimate settings.
Labial augmentation is a positive step toward body confidence that may dramatically improve your sex life. By restoring the full, healthy appearance of the labial tissues, this procedure allows women to regain their youthful years in the bedroom.
Read on to learn all about labial augmentation and how it may work for you.
What is Labial Augmentation?
Labial augmentation may also be called labia majora augmentation or labial puffing. It’s a cutting-edge cosmetic treatment that volumizes and rejuvenates the appearance of the labia. After this procedure, patients experience a significant boost in self-confidence and an overall improvement in their quality of life.
What Causes Labial Thinning?
Many women experience a thinning, aging appearance of the labia due to:
- Reduced collagen production: Collagen is a protein that gives the labial tissues strength and structure. Unfortunately, the body naturally produces less collagen over time. With less collagen, the labia may appear thinner and looser.
- Sexual activity: Certain sexual activities may cause trauma to the labial tissues, potentially altering the labia’s appearance.
- Childbirth: A vaginal delivery can traumatize the labial tissue. This can make the labia appear smaller, thinner, or scarred after childbirth.
- Menopause: During menopause and perimenopause (the period just before menopause), the body’s estrogen levels drop. Estrogen is a hormone that helps keep the vaginal tissues plump, elastic, and moist. So, many women experience labial thinning or flattening during menopause.
- Aging: The body’s natural aging process can also trigger labial changes. With age, skin and muscle tissue lose strength and firmness. This can cause the labia to appear thinner and looser.
- Weight fluctuations: Significant weight changes can alter the labia’s appearance. Extra fat tissue may damage collagen and elastin in the labia and cause it to stretch. Unfortunately, even after losing the excess weight, the labial tissues can’t shrink back to their original appearance.
How Does Labial Puffing Work?
Labial puffing involves injecting vaginal dermal filler into the labial tissues. The filler gives the labia a fuller, plumper appearance. Your physician can also position the filler to correct any asymmetries in the labia.
The labial puffing procedure uses hyaluronic acid dermal fillers. Hyaluronic acid is a humectant your body naturally produces to hydrate skin and lubricate the joints. With hyaluronic acid fillers, labial puffing also helps lubricate the vagina by increasing the hydration of the vaginal mucosa. Improved lubrication leads to greater sexual satisfaction and a reduced risk of pain during intercourse.
What Are The Steps of Labial Puffing?
Labial puffing is a minimally invasive in-office treatment. It’s completed in the following steps:
- First, the treatment area is cleaned.
- Next, your provider applies a topical anesthetic to prevent discomfort during the injections.
- The filler is then carefully injected into the front and back vaginal wall, just beneath the vaginal mucosa.
Once the treatment area is numbed, injecting the labial filler only takes 10 to 15 minutes. With no downtime, you can return to your usual activities immediately!
How to Prepare for Labial Augmentation
Before undergoing labial augmentation, it’s crucial to consult an experienced cosmetic physician, like Dr. Dima Ali in Reston, Virginia. Given that each patient has unique personal goals and concerns, labial augmentation is a highly customized procedure. During your consultation, Dr. Dima will ask questions about your goals for the procedure and create a personalized treatment plan.
Additionally, inform Dr. Dima during the consultation if you’re pregnant, breastfeeding, or allergic to any of the filler ingredients.
After your consultation, make the following lifestyle adjustments to ensure the safety and efficacy of the procedure:
- Stop taking the following medications and supplements for one week pre-and post-injection, as they’ll increase your risk of bruising:
- NSAIDs, including aspirin
- Ginkgo biloba
- Garlic supplements
- Green tea
- Flax oil
- Cod liver oil
- Vitamins A and E
- Essential fatty acids
- Take Arnica tablets 2 to 3 days before the injection to minimize your risk of bruising.
- Don’t drink alcoholic beverages 24 hours before and after the injection to prevent excess bruising.
- Don’t apply potentially irritating products to the treatment area for 2 to 3 days before and after the injection. Examples include:
- Tretinoin or Retin-A
- Glycolic acid
- Benzoyl peroxide
Additionally, speak with Dr. Dima before the treatment if you have cold sores to receive guidance on antiviral therapy.
What to Expect After Labial Puffing
After receiving labial puffing injections, you may have minor redness, swelling, tenderness, and itchiness in the treatment area. These are expected side effects of the injection and typically go away within a few days, although some patients experience swelling for around a week.
Labial augmentation produces immediate results. You’ll notice that the labia appears volumized and rejuvenated immediately after the treatment.
In the first week after receiving labial fillers, it’s wise to avoid activities that put pressure on the labia, including intercourse, bike riding, and horseback riding. Pressure on the labia soon after the injection may begin to break down the filler, compromising your results.
How Long Do Labial Fillers Last?
The longevity of labial fillers can vary depending on the type of filler used, your metabolism, and your lifestyle. However, most hyaluronic acid labial fillers last for 6 to 12 months. This duration may be shorter or longer for some patients.
Some available fillers are considered semi-permanent, lasting five years or longer. During your consultation, Dr. Dima will recommend labial fillers that suit your needs and preferences.
Am I a Candidate for Labial Augmentation?
Given that it’s an outpatient, minimally invasive treatment, labial augmentation with fillers is safe for most patients with a loss of elasticity or volume in the labial tissues. Candidates for labial augmentation generally:
- Are in good physical health
- Have realistic expectations for the treatment
- Aren’t allergic to any of the filler ingredients
- Don’t have underlying medical conditions that could interfere with the treatment, such as bleeding disorders
The Benefits of Labial Augmentation
Labial augmentation provides numerous benefits for individuals looking to enhance the appearance of the labia. Key benefits include:
Safe and Non-Surgical
Labial augmentation involves a few simple injections. It doesn’t require general anesthesia or incisions, and the risk of complications is very low for healthy patients. This makes it a safer and more convenient option than cosmetic surgery to enhance the appearance of the labia.
No Downtime Required
With a busy schedule, taking time off for downtime after cosmetic procedures can be challenging. Labial puffing in Reston doesn’t require downtime; you can return to your normal activities immediately. There’s no time to take time off work or cancel events on your calendar.
Rejuvenated Appearance of the Labia
Visible signs of aging in the labial tissues can be frustrating and discouraging. Labial augmentation with hyaluronic acid fillers is a simple, effective way to rejuvenate the labia. Dr. Dima will work with you to personalize the treatment and achieve your desired results.
Restored Labial Symmetry
Aging, childbirth, and trauma to the labial tissues can lead to asymmetries. Dr. Dima will expertly inject the hyaluronic acid fillers to correct these asymmetries, giving the labia a healthier, more attractive look.
Improved Natural Lubrication
The vaginal tissues naturally become drier and less naturally lubricated after menopause. This can lead to painful intercourse and less sexual satisfaction. Labial puffing boosts the natural lubrication of the vaginal tissues by increasing blood flow to the area.
With more natural lubrication, some women experience relief from pain during intercourse.
Enhanced Sexual Sensation
With a rejuvenated labia, many women feel more empowered in intimate settings. This, along with improved natural lubrication, can lead to greater sexual satisfaction. Sexual satisfaction is important for many aspects of your overall health, including your self-esteem and even your quality of sleep.
Greater Body Confidence
Body confidence is a priceless gift that can improve all aspects of your life. With freedom from insecurity in intimate settings, you can experience confidence and empowerment that extends beyond your sex life.
Schedule Your Consultation for Labial Augmentation
At WellMedica Aesthetic & Anti-Aging Medicine in Reston, Virginia, we help you look and feel your best. If you’re interested in labial augmentation to restore the youthful appearance of the labia after childbirth, menopause, or aging, reach out to us to schedule a consultation. Our experienced team will determine if you’re a candidate for the procedure and devise a personalized treatment plan for your cosmetic goals.
The confidence and sexual satisfaction of your youth are within reach. Don’t hesitate to contact us today!